As home and business owners go into lockdown across Australia, attention has turned to the best ways of protecting homes and businesses from coronavirus.
Here are 5 practical steps for maintaining good hygiene to protect you family, staff and customers from COVID-19.
- Take off shoes at the front door – maybe not practical for business, but certainly something you should implement at home.
- Wipe down all items brought in – Non-porous items like takeaway containers can be wiped down with detergent or soapy water and fresh produce should be washed.
- Wash hands. Once inside, a thorough hand wash with warm soapy water for at least 20 seconds is essential… for businesses, provide hand sanitiser for staff/customers (and encourage them to use it), but sanitisers are generally not enough on their own as they can’t break through dirt and organic material that’s left on surfaces, so you should clean that first and then use the disinfectant.
- Regularly clean and sanitise ‘high-touch’ surfaces – As the virus is commonly transferred by hand-to-face touching, experts recommend wiping down all surfaces that are regularly handled.
- Cleaning Technique matters – Wiping in an ‘S’ shaped pattern prevents re-contamination and will ensure the surface area is well-covered. Disposable gloves should also be worn.